Thursday, November 17, 2011

Blog 7 Revision of CATW practice test 2 "The Woman Who Died in the Waiting Room"

he Hospitals in the United States

     Many hospitals in the United States have been found negligent with their patients. This is happening in general, but  mostly in psychiatric institutions. In the article  "A Woman Who Died in the Waiting Room" by Jeneen Interlandy, he stated a particular case of a elderly lady who was left by her self in the waiting room of a Brooklyn psychiatric hospital while several members of the staff ignored her, in spite of her delicate situation, which brought her to dead. I agree with this asseveration and I know from a personal experience that this is happening every days in almost all the public hospitals in New York City and all over the United States. Unfortunately the poor and undocumented only can go to these kind of public services because of the lack  of economic resources what makes them the more affected population as this passage affirms.

    I almost died when I was delivering my baby in the Elmhurst Hospital of Queens, NY, where I had been checked for the last 5 months before my due date, therefore they knew that I was a high risk pregnant woman and that I needed to get a proper treatment and care. But instead they left me by myself in a room for the whole night while I was bleeding and suffering of big pain without the proper care of a nurse or doctor who could give the order that a C-section was needed. They kept me in that room until the next day until a friend of mine came to the hospital and alarmed them after she saw my situation. She told them that I was not an illegal person, that my husband was in the USA Army and that this issue could finish in the close of the hospital, if I die or my baby. This warning made them act immediately. So they took me to the surgery room and did the C-Section to me.
            In the article I read says that the illegals and poor are the most affected and it is true. I went to the Elmhurst Hospital because many people there speak Spanish and, then I was unable to speak English. At the beginner of my pregnancy I went to the Manhattan Physician Center where I was supposed to go with my insurance and the difference was enormous. It was so clean and no too crowded, obviously due to the fact that not many people can have access to this services, therefore, the majority have to go where is “free” or accessible for them. But it this fear or equal?
            On February 2nd, 2009 I could have died if my friend wouldn’t come and claimed the proper care for me. That is how I learned that in this country you must fight for being professional and learn English because if   I was been well informed and able to speak English, I would be treated in a good health institution where I luckily would have the possibility of going, and I still wonder what is the danger and risk of the people who never could go to a good health service institution, what will be their destiny?
            The services of health in the United States must be improved to the level that everybody can have equality in the services and care even the undocumented, poor and mentally ill because the first two work very hard every days to keep this country economic, and the third one are disable members of this community.  Without a good health care no one  could be hardworking and be productive and at the end the country will lose its wealthy and power.   

No comments: