Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blog 6 "Personal Directions for the CATW"

     First, write in extreme detail what you must do the day of the test (what to do with the text, how you will go about writing, what paragraphs must have etc)
   I am very anxious about taking the CATW in December 1rst, so I will be writing my own directions which will help me to do really well that day.

     First thing I going to do is be on time I going to be there fifteen or twenty minutes before the test start. So I can be ready and relax before the test start. Once they give me the order to start it  I will read the prompt carefully trying to get the main points regarding the essays is about, after that I, will read it one more time, but this time I will be underlining the main ideas that I have already figure out, then I can have material for my summary because I must include all of them on it.

      Once I have the main points underlined, I will write them down in my own words and I will do some brainstorming while  reading  again the prompt to get some key words and ideas which I feel more confident with (yes, for me is necessary to read the prompt three times, I admit it because of many unknown words).  I will write for ten minutes free writing, then I am going to start my summary making sure include all the main points that I have already figured out. I will choose a nice introductory sentence to make my essay more attractive and I also will include all the main points in my summary, before I leave the paragraph I will agree or disagree with the author ideas and in my mind I will pick one to develop my essay on it. However I will be writing down this idea to keep it in mind all the time during the test time.

      Examples and evidences are very important, therefore I will start the second paragraph with a nice example from something that I have experienced before in my life. It could be a learning experience in my country or here in the United States or something that I have lived or read. I am sure I going to find something interesting to write about in my examples, I will give at least two examples, one in the second paragraph and one in the third paragraph. After I plenty write and enjoy writing my examples, in the next paragraph I will conclude through give and overview all over the previous part of my essay and I will be giving an overall conclusion regarding the subject I am talking about.

    Then write also is extreme detail what are the things you have to look out for, based on previous practice tests. Spelling? Which words? Grammar? What mistakes? Problems with development? What kinds of problems? Timing yourself? Test anxiety?  

    I have failed in my two previous practice tests. I am sure that if I had better grammar and spelling I will have more chance to pass a least the second one, so this time I will make sure to check my grammar and look out for the words I am using in the dictionary. That will help me a lot with my grade. In other side I will be writing a good planned essay then I will develop it in better way than before. Planning is a very good tool that will be very helpful for a well develop essay.

Finally, write how you plan to help yourself with the problems in item 2.
 

      I will bring a proper dictionary to correct all my mistakes in words. I will rest well the night before and eat properly so I won't feel struggling with these necessities while taking the test. I will distribute the time in a way that I will be using my ninety minutes in the best way. Reading: 10 minutes, brainstorm: 10 minutes; writing a summary: 10 minutes, develop my examples: 20 minutes each; conclusion: 10 minutes and the remaining time I will use it for review my beautiful and well developed essay. Next time I take a test I will relax and think that it is only a test and that I won't die if I do not pass because for me stress before and during the test make me very confuse and out of the track. I will memorize these instructions because I can not go through all of them if I do not remember them, for me is good to memorize things at the time to take a test. I hope all these steps will help me to pass the CATW test on December first because I really want to get into ENG-101 next spring, but if for any reason I have to come back to this class at least I'll know I will have the knowledge about the points and what is an assays and its components which I did not have an idea before I start this class.

Thank you,

Zoila Victoria

No comments: