Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blog 2 "The Allegory of The Cave" Summary

          "The Allegory of the Cave" is a conversation between Socrates and Glaucon. In this dialog Socrates is using a metaphor to point to a group of people that they are pretending to look at, who live into a cave. He uses this literary figure to compare and explain to Glaucon how the humanity lives mostly covered with the darkness just like in a cave. Socrates is also explaining to him how the change between the darkness to the brilliant sun outside of the cave can be horrible at the first moment when they, as human being, experiment the lightness, but after a while and with to much effort they would get their eyes used to the clarity of the sun and then, they will be comfortable looking every detail in the real world that is only in the exterior of the cave where they used to live and are coming out now for the first time.

4 comments:

Queenz Kev said...

1.Yes
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.Yes
5.Yes
6.Yes
7.No

Hi my name is Kevin and I had to read your summary for class.
The main idea was clear but i would like to see you elaborate on
the supporting ideas. You excluded unimportant ideas, thats a
good thing. The summary was in your own words and you
didn't have grammar errors. You kept the sense of the original
passage and didn't put in your personal opinion, so that was perfect.
I think you did a great job, keep it up.

Zoila Victoria said...

Thanks, Kevin, Your comment is very encouraging. I really want to learn how to write well. We only are in the beginner. I wish you good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Carmencita and I was assigned to read your essay Allegory of the Cave. Zoila you have not include the main idea. You write brief information of the passage which is not good. You have express with details and you gone to the point. Yes, You have include not necessary details. No you not use your own words instead you have write it in terms of author words. There is some grammatical sentence long sentences and some sentences with missing words. You need express more supporting details. Lastly you don't include your personal opinion. Dont worry you will be fine just more practice and understand the lecture. bye

Zoila Victoria said...

Hello, Carmencita,
My name is Zoila and I am the ENG 099 student who you comment on my summary of "The Allegory of The Cave". As you know this is a summary not an essay, so I would like you to clarify your comment a little bit for me, especifically the main idea because I am in ENG 099 and I thought I included it. The thing is now I am really confused because the previous comment on my post said that I included it, however, now I know that I have added some unnecesary details, but still I think the main Idea is there. Also, I red "The Allegory of The Cave" again and I don't see where I copy the author words. Thanks for you comment and please review my SUMMARY one more time. You are right when you talk about the details and the long sentences I am already working on being especific and I confess that at the beggining I did not understand well the reading. My english in those kind of use is not really good. Thanks a lot.

Zoila Victoria